Sunday, March 8, 2015

Anniversaries

This week-end we watched as the march from Selma to Montgomery was symbolically re-walked for the 50th anniversary of the first attempt. This was a huge turning point in the civil rights movement. I get that.

But, today, Sunday, March 8, was also the 50th anniversary of our marines arriving in Viet Nam. And not one news report that I saw, not a single one, even mentioned that fact. Granted I have not watched every newscast on every network. But, I did watch local news, and national news this evening, and it was not mentioned. I saw it mentioned on Facebook of all places.

This event was also a huge turning point in our history and should have been commemorated. More than 58,000 young men and women lost their lives. Many more were wounded and scarred for life and came home changed forever.

I was a tween/teenager during this period. I remember the feeling of relief when it was announced in 1973 that all of our troops were coming home, mainly because I was engaged to marry an airman. The last troops left in March of 1973 and we were married in April.

My current husband served, in the marines, during those early days, when we were not officially in the country. He doesn't talk about it much and I don't push it.

So, on this 50th anniversary, I would like to thank my husband, Bill Haven for serving. I would like to thank my childhood neighbor, Lester Winslow, who came home a different man, and I would like to thank and remember another childhood friend, Kenny Walls, who didn't come home. And, for all of the other brave men and women who served in a war we could not win, thank you for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment