Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hypocrisy

There has been much in the news lately about the Duggar family concerning a molestation issue that surrounds Josh Duggar. I have thought about this before deciding to voice an opinion, so here's my take on this.

I can understand the family's thinking....somewhat. No one wants to be in the middle of a scandal, no matter what the cause. I'm sure they thought like most of us would "What will our friends think, or what will the church say". So, they talk privately to those involved and keep it quiet. 

I get that. That's a natural reaction.

What bothers me most about it is the hypocrisy. While this event was apparently happening, Mr. Duggar was stating that sexual crimes should be made capital crimes. Had he considered that this might affect his son, if this would come to pass? I doubt that. Since everything was handled privately, why would he then want his child to be executed for that very thing? I believe that they considered themselves above the act and punishment.

I also think it is very hypocritical for them to state publicly that certain people are a danger to children. By this I'm referring to their stance against homosexuals. So many people are afraid that the "gayness" will rub off on their children, and that every gay person will assault every person they meet.

I've read a great deal of comments where other commentators (I don't know if that word is the correct one to use in this situation) have been reminded that Jesus said that "ye who are without sin cast the first stone". But it doesn't just apply to the ones who think the Duggars mishandled the situation. I think it also applies to the Duggars themselves. This admonishment by Christ doesn't say that it has to be the same sin, only that a person hasn't sinned. For them to apparently take the abuse situation so lightly and then condemn another person because of their lifestyle flaunts this.

I truly hope that Josh does understand that what he did, even though he was a teenager, was wrong. I hope the girls involved were able to get some real help, not just told to turn the other cheek.

I heard a comment the other day concerning the tv show. This person thought that maybe it shouldn't be cancelled, but the incident be used as truly reality tv to show who real issues affect a family and how they could now learn and grow from it. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment