Sunday, May 10, 2015

Why

Our house was broken into a couple of weeks ago while we were at church. Not only did they take most of our electronics, (tv, 3 computers, digital camera, portable dvd player and a suitcase to carry it in), they totally trashed the place. Things pulled out of every closet and every drawer opened. They even took 3 pkgs. of poptarts and a box of snack crackers, along with a Dr. Pepper. So we figure it had to be kids.

The material things they took can and are being replaced. That's what we have insurance for. Things have been put back in the closets and drawers, but we're still taking inventory since things were just thrown everywhere and anywhere. For example, my husband's coins were taken. I got him a talking bank for Christmas and he throws his change it in at night. So, everything was gone. But, I found the jar to the bank in a corner of the bedroom under some pillows, and the top of it was in his clothes hamper!

We've tried looking at the bright side, and there is a bright side. I have a hutch filled with crystal on the shelves. Some of it is very old and valuable. They could have swept all of it off and smashed it on the floor. The same with the china, which is a discontinued pattern. They didn't find the antique rifle in the closet, or the case containing my husband's family silver.
I thought the coin my sister gave me for a special birthday was gone as the drawer had been ransacked, but it was not touched. I was afraid that some of my jewelry was gone, especially my pearl and diamond earrings, and the diamond necklace and earrings, but they are all there. So far the only piece I can't find is my college class ring and it could still be under a piece of furniture in the bedroom.

So my question is why. Why do people need to break-in and wreak havoc? Or feel the need to take things that aren't theirs? It's not just because they aren't getting any home raising because there have been thieves since biblical times. Why do we have to have security doors and an alarm system to protect the things we've worked hard for? Why take 3 computers and leave the 4th? Why leave both stereo systems and dvd players? Why, why, why? Why also don't the police in our town seem to work to find these things? We've contacted pawn shops and yardsale websites on our own. Why has crime gotten so bad in our town, not just our area? Why are our city leaders not trying to do something about it?

I will not let the bad buys win! I will not be afraid to leave my home unattended! I refuse to let them dictate how I live my life, although I have made some concessions. But, the question still remains...why?

No comments:

Post a Comment